Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Math and Science in English? Malay? Swahili?

Alright, so maybe not in Swahili but seriously, at this point, maybe the Ministry of Education should consider implementing a new language altogether just to be “fair”. I am sure that every Malaysian have read or heard about the possible change of Math and Science from its recent transition to English, back to Malay. Sure, we have heard the debacles from every perspective, from students, parents, teachers, all the way to the government. Now, if I may so boldly state my views on this “delicate” and some might regard as political issue.
After leafing through the many articles written about this topic, and eavesdropping on various heated disputes between those whom are directly involved (students, parents, and educators), I hereby admit that I am still swayed and confused over my “vote”. Yes, it was an awesome and daring move from the government to convert these 2 subjects into English; however, let’s pause and rewind to analyze if they might have rushed into the whole idea a tad rapidly. First of all, the standard of English in our nation is average. Secondly, educators themselves were not well prepared for the language shift. Then third, there is the question of fairness; whether it is fair for students and educators whom may have faced obstacles and challenges in teaching and absorbing the actual subject despite the varying language, countering students that were not affected by the transition and thus did not reap the benefits in the long run (Mind you that according to my sister who is undergoing her PMR examinations this month, the exam questions for Math and Science actually appears in both languages).
What is the big fuss? All we need to do is raise the standard of English taught in our schools. I agree that it is a long shot and it will take time but the benefits that we reap in the long run are endless. Think about our younger generation; I envy my brother and sister because I will never fail to remember how difficult it was when I had to learn and digest advanced Chemistry, Biology, and Physics in college as it was all conveyed in English. Oh, how I used to curse and swear at our education system and the fact that they could actually implement the language change as we begin to learn the subjects in high school. In contrast, I can also relate to educators and parents whom consequently have to brush up on their English in order to teach and assist students in understanding the subjects of Math and Science. Brushing up on a language, not to mention learning a brand new language gets harder as we age (Flashback: Spanish courses during my higher education years in the U.S., as my degree requires taking up a foreign language).
Nonetheless, keep our younger generation in mind, the ones whom will play the vital role of leading our nation towards the goal of Vision 2020, where Malaysia will be globally renowned as a developed country. Changes can be seen throughout Malaysia, with more families conversing in English (and I am not taking sides even though I was fortunate that English is my first language), and the government is joining us in achieving the aim by their intrepid move of transitioning Math and Science to the English medium. Show your support, too! No one likes or even welcomes change, but more than likely change is good for you, change is when we learn from our mistakes or try to make improvements. Be optimistic, start now, the glass is half full.

No comments: