Remember the days when sales people would stalk you around the store, assuming that you would steal or ruin their products on purpose? Well, I do. The journey of my path to a lifetime of shopping started here in Malaysia and although sales personnel still occasionally haunt your personal space as you browse through their products, I have to admit that I am pretty impressed that the scenario has vastly improved over the past 5 years.
Being in the U.S. for the past 5 years, I have been pampered with great service and this comes especially true during my days living in Atlanta when I acquired an exquisite taste for Southern hospitality. The fact that tipping is a culture in the U.S. does not fray the sincerity of people towards providing exceptional service; the simple question of “How are you?” or “How are you doing?” does not imply as a rhetorical question but acts more like a conversation starter. This is certainly comparable with the local Chinese greeting of “Have you eaten?” albeit I still feel awkward even phrasing the question in my head.
After working in the hospitality and customer service industry for the past few years, I have begun to notice that the common goal that many companies and conglomerates try to achieve is to go over and beyond and give a unique and memorable experience to their consumers, thus building lasting and loyal relationships that secures repeatable business or future endeavors. Encompassing immense service should be the pride of the many industries and markets whose business depend and flourish on interactions with consumers.
My last trip home before I moved back to Malaysia was approximately 3 years ago and I recall joking – you know you are back in Malaysia once you receive inferior service. Now, I can pride on the fact that the locals are not just friendly towards tourists and the service industry is making proper initiatives to raise service standards; even the government service sectors are catching up on all the wonderful changes (Flash back: Was yelled at by an immigration officer the immigration office about 8 years ago when I misplaced an important document, resulting the rejection of my passport renewal). Thinking back on the early years of me living in the U.S., I used to cringe suspiciously at neighbors and passer-bys who greet me out of the blue, without realizing that they are actually attempting to be friendly. Then, one morning on the second week that I have been home, when I went hill climbing, a passer-by greeted me “Good morning!”. I cannot even begin to describe the mixed feelings that I had towards the gentleman – shocked, confused, impressed, proud, happy – all rolled into one; obviously I replied with a cheerful “Good morning” as I have been well-groomed towards familiar greetings with strangers. However, just that simple greeting just made my day.
Step into your local KFC and pay attention to their interaction with consumers and you will understand what is being evaluated here; compare and contrast it to the level of service that was given to you a couple of years ago. My most memorable memory at fast food joints was at Chick-Fill-A in Atlanta, where almost every single time that I said “Thank you”, they will respond “My pleasure” as opposed to the normal response of “You are welcome”.
The local industry’s service standard is on the rise and we should pride on their improvements. What I have learned is caring is the essential “ingredient” in extending great service and by caring, comes tolerating, cooperating…which in grandeur leads to a better community. So, let’s all start by caring and play our part and participate in the efforts of raising the service level of our nation. Southern hospitality? Heck, Malaysian can be well-known with OUR outstanding hospitality!
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment